Summer - Maintaining Health (icon)

Where to Get Medical Care?

Where to Go for Health Care

Indian Health Service (IHS)

If you are member of a federally-recognized Tribe, you can receive some primary care and selected other services at the IHS at no cost. Your IHS provider can also refer you to care that is not available at an IHS facility through Purchased/Referred Care program (PRC, formerly known as Contract Health). Visit the IHS Find Health Care page to locate the nearest IHS or Tribal facility.

A woman typing on a laptopTribal Clinics and Community Health Centers (non-IHS)

The Albuquerque Area Indian Health Board (AAIHB) provides some health services and prevention programs, including audiology (hearing aids and repair) to its member tribes (Ramah Band of Navajos, Mescalero Apache, Jicarilla Apache, Ute Mountain Ute, and Southern Ute). The AAIHB also serves Native Americans in the Albuquerque area. See their website or call (800) 658-6717.

First Nations Community HealthSource in Albuquerque offers a variety of healthcare services, such primary care services, dental, behavioral health, alternative therapies, diabetes prevention, homeless outreach, and Medicaid enrollment. Visit their Services page for more information. They also provide other support and social services to American Indians. Visit their Eligibility page for further information. They have two locations in the city; you can call (505) 262-2481 or (505) 248-2990.

In Aztec, New Mexico, you can access Aztec Urgent Care. Visit their website or call them at (505) 334-2664.

In Bloomfield, New Mexico, you can access the San Juan Health Partners Walk-in-Clinic. Visit their website or call them at (505) 609-6675.

Presbyterian Medical Services offers a variety of health services and senior centers across the state of New Mexico. PMS health centers are located in Bernalillo, Catron, Chavez, Cibola, Eddy, Lea, Lincoln, Luna, McKinley, Otero, Quay, Rio Arriba, San Juan, San Miguel, Sandoval, Santa Fe, Socorro, Taos and Torrance counties. You can call (800) 477-7633 to find if a health center is located near you or search for a provider on their Find Us page.

Federally-Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs)

If you cannot or prefer not to get care at an IHS or Tribal clinic, you can get medical care at an FQHC. Services are usually provided on a sliding scale based on your income. Search for one near you on this Find a Health Center page.

County Indigent Services

Financial assistance for medical care is often available from your county. Here are some common county resources in New Mexico:

If your county is not listed here, contact the New Mexico Aging and Long-term Services Department for assistance at (800) 432-2080.

For each of these programs you will be required to establish your eligibility for financial assistance. Most likely need provide proof residency (utility bill, rental agreement in your name) and income (pay stub, income tax return).

Veterans Administration (VA)

If you served in the active military, naval, or air service, you may be eligible for health insurance benefits through the VA and to receive medical care at a VA facility. To learn more, contact the American Indian Coordinator for the New Mexico VA Health Care System at (505) 256-2761.

For more flexibility in choosing where to go for medical care, consider buying health insurance, which is often available at no- or low-cost depending on your income.

Related Pages