Winter - Reflecting and Preparing ​(icon)

Finding Transportation

Transportation For Medical Appointments

Community Health Representatives (CHR) offer rides. Call the CHR well in advance to schedule a ride. If they cannot drive you, they will help you arrange other transportation. 

Tribally-run ride services are offered by many communities. You will usually need to make an appointment in advance to schedule a ride. 

To connect with a CHR or find out whether your community offers a ride service, visit the Indian Health Service (IHS) Albuquerque Area or Navajo Area website to find your local IHS or Tribal clinic and call them to ask.

Senior Centers often offer ride services. See the New Mexico Aging and Long-term Services Department website for a directory of centers or call them at (800) 432-2080. Or see a list and map of ride services offered in some Pueblo and Navajo communities.

Medicaid plans offer transportation services to get you to and from your medically-necessary, non-emergency medical appointments. Most services require you to make an appointment several days in advance and may only cover transportation to medical services covered by your insurance. Some Medicaid plans will reimburse you or a family member for transportation costs, including gas and bus fares, and meals and lodging if travel overnight is necessary. Call the number on the back of your health insurance card or check your health insurance provider’s website or the Member Handbook to see what transportation is covered by your plan.

Private health insurance plans may cover transportation for non-emergency, medically-necessary services. To find out what kind of transportation is covered by your health plan and how to get it, call the number on the back of your health insurance card or check your health insurance provider’s website or the Member Handbook.

For more help using health insurance to pay for transportation, see our page about Using Your Health Insurance.

Public Transportation Options

In Albuquerque, ABQ Ride offers free fares for seniors over 60 years old. view through windshield of a carYou can find more information on their website or by calling (505) 243-7433. For bus schedules, see the ABQ Ride website. If you need help with accessibility, call (505) 724-3100 or visit the paratransit services website. The City of Albuquerque Department of Senior Affairs also offers transportation in Albuquerque and Bernalillo County. See their website for details or call (505) 764-6464.
The North Central Regional Transit buses travel around Santa Fe, Taos, Rio Arriba, Espanola, Los Alamos, and the Northern Pueblos. See their website or call (866) 206-0754.
The New Mexico Rail Runner has trains which run north and south with stops in Albuquerque, Belen, Bernalillo, Los Lunas, Santa Fe, Isleta Pueblo, Kewa (Santo Domingo) Pueblo, and Sandia Pueblo. Many stations have connections to other area shuttles, and buses within Bernalillo, Sandoval and Valencia counties, the Pueblo of Isleta, and the Albuquerque International Sunport (airport).
The Navajo Transit System offers transportation for the Navajo Nation and surrounding areas. See their website for schedules or call their office at (928) 729-4002.
The City of Farmington offers public transportation to Farmington, Aztec, Bloomfield, and Kirtland through the Red Apple Transit public bus system. See their website for schedules and maps, or call them at (505) 325-3409.

Traveling across New Mexico? The Greyhound travels from Alamogordo, Carlsbad, Clayton, Clovis, Deming, Gallup, Grants, Hobbs, Las Cruces, Lordsburg, Portales, Raton, Roswell, Ruidoso, Santa Fe, and Tucumcari. See their website or call (800) 231-2222 for more information.

Car Services

If you or a friend or family member have a smartphone and are in a major city, you can use an on-demand car service like Uber or Lyft.  Click these links for step-by-step instructions on to use Uber or Lyft.

Related Pages