Winter - Reflecting and Preparing ​(icon)

Disability Benefits & Health Insurance

Federal and State Assistance

man smilingThe Social Security Administration offers two programs for people with disabilities: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI): If you are eligible for Social Security, but are not yet 65 years old, and you meet certain health condition requirements, you may be eligible for SSDI. Benefits are paid out monthly and the amount depends on how many years you paid Social Security taxes. After you have received SSDI benefits for two years, you will be enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)If you meet certain health condition requirements and your income is below a certain level, you may be eligible to receive SSI, a monthly cash payment to help you pay for basics like food, clothing, and housing.

To apply for SSDI or learn more about SSI, you can talk to the Benefits Coordinator at your local IHS or Tribal clinic, or you can visit your local Social Security Administration office. Click the link or call (800) 772-1213 to find the nearest office.

If you have a disability and have dependent children or grandchildren, and don’t qualify for other forms of state financial assistance, such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), you may qualify for assistance from the General Assistance for Disabled Adults and Unrelated Children program. To learn more about this program and other services, locate your Family Community Resource Center or call the New Mexico Human Services Department at (800) 432-6217.

Health Insurance Options

If you have a disability, you may qualify for Medicaida state and federal program that provides free or low-cost health insurance. If you are over 65, you may also qualify for Medicare. If you are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid, this is called dual eligibility. To learn more, call the New Mexico Aging and Long-Term Services Department about your needs at (800) 432-2080 or TTY (505) 476-4937.

Related Pages